March 14, 2011

Spencer

Spencer, age 6
Holdrege, NE (1985)

So, I LOVED to play with Barbies and She-Ra, thanks to my little sis! I had two older brothers that didn’t want to have anything to do with me - other than beat me up - so they let me do whatever.


I had inklings about being "different" probably around the age I am in this photo.

But, in small town Nebraska, you just keep your mouth shut.

That said, when I did come out at 21, my family, friends, and colleagues were all very supportive.

In fact, both my parents and brothers didn't believe me, at first about things like that.

This picture helped "refresh" their memories - haha!

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you have this blog!



Spencer's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Ricky Martin
Estoy enamorado de Ricky
______________________________________________________
Ricky Martin - One Night Only Barbie Sweet Talking Ken Doll Barbie boy (gay) (The Beauty of Gay Love) Becoming Two-Spirit: Gay Identity and Social Acceptance in Indian Country

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh love you Spencer, and love the whole family... great photo :) HUGS :)

Jacob Woods said...

So adorable. Playing with barbie dolls has been a long time guilty pleasure of mine. When I was young that is.

Allison said...

I love it bro! I think you played with my barbies more than I did. Cool blog too.